Since you have been chilling at home with you, yourself, and your boredom have you found yourself walking aimlessly to the pantry? What used to be a weekend thing has become a Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday-Friday-Saturday-Sunday thing and you find yourself snacking all the doo-dah-day. Are you actually hungry or are you just plain bored?
This is a serious question because there are definitely times when I am truly hungry because I pushed my meals too far apart aka waited too long OR under-ate throughout the day because I am on this “cool-new-eating-too-little-calorie-diet” and now I am willing to eat anything I can get my hands on. There is something about being over-the-edge hungry that turns into hanger that turns into not caring what it is or how much it is that I put into my body. Did you know it takes about 20 minutes for your stomach to tell your brain that you are satisfied? So when I inhale all my snacks in 5 minutes because I am so hungry, I never gave myself the opportunity to actually fuel appropriately so 20 minutes later instead of being pleasantly satisfied I feel pleasantly plump. Waiting too long to eat leads me down a path of spastic food choices, uncomfortability, and negative self-talk.
So for some of us, straight up bored snacking is a thing. For others of us, we are setting ourselves up for aimless snacking because we aren’t properly planned or fueled throughout the day. No matter what boat you are rowing you know you need to make some changes before the quarantine-19 pounds you didn’t sign up for end up on your body;)
- Track your food for a few days to make sure you aren’t chronically under-eating early in the day leading to overeating later in the day.
- Plan out your snacks like you plan out your breakfast, lunch, and dinners. I personally like to plan the healthier snacks and the fun snacks because that works for keeping me on track and happy at the same time. Making some snacks that satisfy the delicious and nutritious.
- Ask yourself before you go to the pantry to grab your snack: Am I actually hungry OR am I just bored? If I wouldn’t eat the apple but I would eat the frosted cupcake maybe I am not ACTUALLY hungry;)
- Hilary Snacks – Apple & Peanut Butter, Greek Yogurt w/Fresh Berries, Banana Protein Pancakes, Porridge
- Vinny Snacks – Mangos, Cara Cara Oranges, Homemade Protein Balls, Oat Balls
- Selby Snacks – Apple & Peanut Butter, Pineapple, Broomhead Bar, Beef Jerky
- Dyce House Snacks – Broomhead Bars, Bell Peppers & Carrots w/Salsa, Apple, Orange, Mango, Banana, Dark Chocolate Chips, Edamame w/Sea Salt, Plantain Chips, Oat Balls, Oat Bake
- Lindsay Snacks – Fruit & Peanut Butter, String Cheese, Cucumbers & Tajin