- 8 Cups of Liquid (water or broth)
- 4 Cups of Brown Rice
- 2 Cans (12oz) of Black Eyed Peas (sub bean/pea of choice)
- 1 Can (12oz) Full Fat Coconut Milk
- 1 Chopped Onion
- ½ Chopped Bell Pepper
- 2 Chopped Celery Stalks
- 1 Can (8oz) Tomato Sauce
- 2 Heaping Tbsp KerryGold Butter
- 2 Tbs Salt
- 2 tsp each of Black Pepper, Garlic Powder, Thyme, Parsley, Oregano, Hot Sauce of Choice
Instructions (Dyce Family Recipe)
“The basic idea is to make a very rich, soup-like mixture of everything excluding the rice, before adding the rice. Then cook the rice in that mixture.” – Byron Dyce Sr.
Place all ingredients (excluding the rice) into a large pot that has a cover and bring to a boil. Once you are satisfied with the taste of this “soup-like” mixture, add rice to the boiling liquid. Bring to a boil again before turning the heat down to a simmer (low heat). Place the lid on the pot leaving a small opening and let the rice cook and soak up the liquid. Stir occasionally until rice is cooked to your desired consistency.
This recipe makes A LOT of rice – it’s typically cooked at a holiday event to serve 8+ people. Half this recipe if you don’t want too many leftovers.
Approximate Cooking Time: 90 Minutes