The second CrossFit Open of 2019 just finished and the atmosphere in Bluprint Fitness was/is ELECTRIC!
I can’t express how proud I am of everyone who stepped outside of their comfort zones and proved that YOU ARE AWESOME!
So what can we learn from our experience each year in the CrossFit Open?
I think the coolest part about the 5-weeks of workouts (besides getting together as a community) is that it acts as an assessment tool for what we want to work on next!
There were so many movements in the Open:
- Bar Facing Burpees
- DB Thrusters
- Hanging Knee Raises
- Handstand Push-Ups
- Hand Release Push-Ups
- Handstand Walks
- Bear Crawls
- Box Jumps
- MB Box Step-Ups
- Clean & Jerks
- Ring Muscle Ups
- Chin-over-bar Pull-Ups
- Wall Ball
Chances are, there are movements in the list above that you crushed AND there are movements in the list above that are your arch nemesis!
Based on how you felt in particular workouts, there are three areas to focus on:
- Increase Strength (aka get stronger)
- Increase Work Capacity (aka get better conditioned)
- Increase Skill Level (aka get/improve/master a skill)
ALL OF THE ABOVE improve with consistent practice and there are a few ways to makes sure that happens over the next year.
- Show Up to Class Consistently: the programming at Bluprint Fitness is designed to improve all aspects of fitness in an effective and efficient way. And the coaches have your back when it comes to setting you on the course to consistent growth.
- Smart Effort: to improve your work capacity, you have to give “smart” effort to your workouts. That means – maintaining form, pacing appropriately, and getting the most out of your goal(s) for each workout (whether that goal is to go fast or to improve a skill/strength movement).
- Practice the Specifics: while the Bluprint programming model does cover a lot of the basics, to accelerate your strength/skill development it’s suggested that added practice be put in. Whether that’s on your own or with skill sessions, create a routine that allows you to practice the specifics.
- Know Your Bandwidth: you can’t work on EVERYTHING at once. Pick 1-2 things to work on each quarter of this upcoming year (picking the ones you MOST want to improve to work on first).
Current Bluprint Athletes: use the Bluprint coaches as resources to help create a plan of action for your continued health & fitness growth.
Future Bluprint Athletes: what are you waiting for? It’s time to get going!